07 September, 2013

Rejection

'They' say I have not read enough.
If I want to write poetry,
They say I should read
Cavafy and Armitage.
Ruth Padel’s “52 Ways to Read a Poem.”
Yes that will teach me how to write better.

-                              -                              -

Should I also retreat into a Writer’s Retreat?
Will the rolling hills and flurries of fog,
fawn over me,
in creative outbursts?
Bukowski, on the other hand instructs:
I shouldn’t write unless
it ‘bursts out of me’.

-                              -                              -

Words have burst forth in a panicked hurry
staining the sheets,
in monsoonal splendour.
I lie spent now,
mutilated by my latest offering.
Already a bystander.

In the after-throes of my affair,
I tentatively send them forth –
Exposing them to prying eyes – 
a gavel’s stroke punctuating my dreams.

I quiver, breath-held
parched-lipped
as your pronounce your judgement
with placid bored eyes of one who has read too much.
And in a voice jaded beyond redemption,
You bellow your answer 
(or do you breathe a yellowed whisper?).

Plucking the petals off my art,
you desecrate it to a doodle
And hand me condolences
For having lost myself.

April, 2013

11 comments:

  1. You have a beautiful blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a lovely thing to say. Thank you.

      Delete
    2. It's a fact. Plain and simple.

      Delete
    3. In the desolate depths of a perilous place
      the bogeyman lurks, with a snarl on his face

      Delete
  2. Your writing does burst out of you. Your pieces are some of the most beautiful, honest and organic ones I've read. Been following your blog for a while. Had to come clean and record my appreciation. Actually not appreciation, my delight perhaps..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Zinque :) For the honesty and for keeping safe your capacity to be delighted!

      Delete
  3. A perfect rejection of those who reject out of their self-righteousness...
    Outstanding poetry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vesper. Good to see you back!

      Delete
  4. I agree with Boogeyman, Zinque and Vesper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then I thank you just as much!

      Delete
  5. You have a blessing and habit of extracting the highest potential off an ensemble of words, thoughts and feelings put together. Bravo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...