25 November, 2011

Wanderings


(To the ones I lost to the forks in the road)

Oh our gay little steps
on that long straight road
we walked so sure.
In that world of naivety
there were no crooked alleys
no gullies of guile,
no diversions with misleading names
no glitzy shops to sell us spurious wares.
There were no dead-ends,
we wished for no U-turns.
In that uni-dimensional future,
how we skipped along, unassuming.

Just when did we meet that fork in our path
Did you see it before me? Or did it
confront you with the same stealthy insidiousness?
I watched it force us,
to make decisions we were too ignorant to understand.

Your way, they tell me, sparkles,
sometimes its fragrance wafts my way
and I think I hear the laughter and the
chatter of your world.
But Wisdom whispers
there must be the tears too,
I'm just not close enough
to hear how they must impale.

My path often colours my sky with happiness,
other days each step opens a fresh sore,
I wonder if I should call out to you
Or is my voice too far to recognise?
I teeter between dilemmas
and let the moment pass.
Often, I hear tales from your latest giggle of friends
and jealously retreat into my solitary wanderings.
And so I walk,
some days a companion graces my way,
our anonymity blanketing us 
into charming conversations.
On other journeys, silence serves me well.

I looked back today,
and could no longer see the fork in the road,
no longer remember it, and its cruel suddenness.
A grove of trees has befriended me now,
a breeze soothes me into submission
I watch my road yawn forward - 
perhaps tomorrow another fork in the road
will marry our experiences.
Perhaps.

6 comments:

  1. Bahut thoughtful post hai. I was expecting many more comments here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I beg to disagree, imo its only a lack of effort to blame.. or as famously put here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ "Understand that friends come and go, but what a precious few should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps and geography and lifestyle, because the older you get, the more you need the people you knew when you were young. "

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said HARU, I agree. Indeed, the LACK OF EFFORT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haru, yes, but lack of effort must have a reason. Is that reason subject to Place and Time? Or just Human Effort alone? Or Fate? Or Providence? Bleh, now we could have a talk on causality. Not.

    XYZ: If there was such a "LACK OF EFFORT" (in caps of course, I hear you shout amigo), you're lucky to get rid of such a friend! Lucky you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. XYZ: taali ek haath se nahin bajti

    Chandni: Killer Not :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's unfortunate that I understand every line.

    Beautifully written. One of your best yet.
    It's the truth put down in a way that makes it easier to swallow. Well, almost. :)

    P.S. love this - I watch my road yawn forward

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...