19 July, 2011

Happy Father's Day

Photo credit: Jacinth

Hey Spike!
How did you know when to 
narrate delightful tales
of bloated men floating up to the ceiling,
and when to simplify Shakespeare
for my naive soul?

Hey Spike!
How did you find the strength to swim?
Against the tide, one arm tied, lithium soaked.
And just how did you know that
trinkets and bubblegum 
are a little girl's best friends?

Dear Spike
I am ashamed of deliberately 
tearing all those letters
that were my only lifeboats that long winter. 
Can we relegate that gruesome memory
To the foolishness of an impetuous child?

Hey Spike
How did you know
I wanted to be born an Arien?
How did you manage to set me straight
Even though I came out the wrong way?

Hey Spike!
How do you mix hilarity, exaggeration and love
so perfectly?
How do you sprinkle that
aura of extremes that become you so?

You, Spike
Are the strongest man I know.
The dearest wish I hold. 
And the biggest heart
I can lay claim to.

7 comments:

  1. 'How did find the strength swim?' in the 2nd stanza sounds odd. Intended?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ughh. That's settled.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still unsettled I believe. Does sound less odd now, odd all the same. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now. Is a good time to feel sheepishly foolish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:03 pm

    *Are the strongest man I know.

    *Is* the strongest man I know.?

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...