07 November, 2009

Beep off

I was watching yet another movie on yet another sleepy afternoon. Ever since I left probably the best job in the world, I have been in a mood that befits my new found superduperlative schedule. And I realized that the secret to happiness is just an idiot box away. With all the English movie channels coming up with subtitles for people who just never catch dialogues (I founded and currently head that elite group) the motion picture has been relegated to the background while the written (rather edited) word reigns supreme. Trust our censor board to provide comic relief in the most unassuming places. Samples:


Dialogue: "I should have made a move on her. Damn I think I just lost my penis."
Subtitle: "I should have made a move on her. Damn I think I just lost my manhood."


Dialogue: "Did you notice her big boobs?"
Subtitle: "Did you notice her big?"


Do they realize that's not even a complete sentence? And that we can actually hear what is being said and so our pure, beautiful minds have already been corrupted? And that in spite of our muddled education system, we have all been exposed (oh dear is that a dirty word too?) to the taxonomy of human body parts, irrespective of their, well, location?


And the best was:
Dialogue: "You damn motherbeeeeep. Beep off."
Subtitle: "You damn motherbeep. Beep off."


But as I lay dozing off, I decided to imagine that the Board has someone with a great sense of humour. I like to think that the Subtitle Guy hates his job, gets the kicks about writing wrong grin-inducing stuff and weaves jokes into the lines. That's so much better than imagining them not knowing enough to think they are fooling (cleansing?) us.

12 comments:

  1. We are a society of hypochrists. We wear masks...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we ARE the masks. And spell check?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heard of urban Dictionary? It defines "hypochrist - A person who vehemently espouses Christian beliefs or values, but does not practice them."

    Beautiful minds which are not aware of "Boobs" and "penis" will not know about them just a bit longer...

    You say that you one among the people who "just never catch dialogues". Ever wondered, if Dialogue"I should have made a move on her. Damn I think I just lost my penis." is stated as "I should have made a move on her. Damn I think I just lost my manhood." in subtitles, then there is a possibility of the dialogues getting modified is also pretty high. Being the head of the "elite group" you are expected to do something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What do you mean by we ARE the masks?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Actually, I have not heard of the Urban Dictionary. Ha ha is there a Rural one too?

    People are so often the masks that they wear that maybe they just BECOME the masks. The farce becomes fact. The person(ality?) they were trying to hide disappears into obscurity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No rural dictionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You gotta watch the pirated chinese DVDs. Thouse have hilarious subtitles :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I mean 'those'

    Chinese effect maybe :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. yup those are worse (or better?).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never been able to understand the difference between satire and sarcasm. Why sarcasm?

    Actually, I have not heard of the Urban Dictionary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Then there is a pun and double entendre.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...